Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

During placement of the Cotton House, bones and a very deteriorated uniform with brass buttons were unearthed and believed to have belonged to a soldier from Camp Smith. In 1820-1822, Col. Smith wanted to move the location of Fort Howard to, what he believed, a more suitable location. He never received permission by the U.S. Government to move the location and soldiers returned to Fort Howard in 1822. The construction of the tomb was financed by Theodore Pamperin. The tomb, which was built in 1938, has a four ton slab of amberg granite forming the floor and roof while the sides are concrete. A sarcophagus holding the bones and buttons is placed on a bench of hammered granite. In 1994, the tomb was opened to show a large pile of bones as well as a complete skull.

Building Facts

Original Build Date 1938
Original Location Heritage Hill State Historical Park
Construction Style Dry Stacked Limestone
Original Owner Heritage Hill State Historical Park
Moved to Heritage Hill Built on site