Interesting Facts “On The Hill”

  • Approximately 16,000 school children visit the park each year for general tours and hands-on programs.
  • On April 30, 2007 at the 30th Anniversary Celebration, 3077 guests enjoyed the Sheep Shearing Event.
  • Heritage Hill depends on volunteers. Over the last 10 years more than 8,000 hours were logged by our volunteers annually.
  • Heritage Hill is a non-profit organization (501(c)3) and receives no operational funding from the state. Donations and admissions are what keep the park running.
  • Heritage Hill was not much more than a field at the beginning. Historically accurate trees and plants were carefully chosen for each area of the park to reflect the time periods.
  • Heritage Hill proudly records five buildings on the National Registry of Historic Homes.
  • Tank Cottage is one of the oldest houses in Wisconsin.
  • The Fort Howard Hospital is the oldest standing military hospital in the U.S.
  • The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is located on the site of the old Fort Smith. Bones of a soldier were found when excavating for the park. Every year a special Memorial Day ceremony is held at this site.
  • The Belgian farmhouse looks like a brick home. Actually, it is a log home with a brick facade. It is speculated that after the famous Peshtigo fire of 1871, many people began to put bricks over the logs so that the house would be protected.
  • In the early 1870s, four volunteer fire companies protected the Green Bay community. The Franklin Hose Company, now located in Growing Community at Heritage Hill, was the last to be formed in 1873.
  • The Fur Trader's Cabin was discovered by accident by a wrecking crew in 1968. As they began tearing down the siding on an old home, the framework of the log house appeared. The Fur Trader's Cabin was moved to Heritage Hill in 1976.