The Cotton House
The Cotton House was originally built on land owned by Louis Beaupre by John Cotton sometime in the early 1840s. The home belonged to the Cotton family until 1893. At that time, It was sold to J.W. Woodruff, who lived there until 1896, and then again sold it to the Catholic Diocese. They used it as an orphanage until 1933. Between 1938 and 1941 the home was moved to its present location and restored by the Brown County Historical Society, opening as a museum in 1941. In 1977, the home became the focal point and inspiration for Heritage Hill. The Cotton House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Original Build Date: 1845
- Original Owners: John and Mary Cotton
- Original Location: Beaupre and Webster Avenue
- Moved to Heritage Hill in 1938 (pre Heritage Hill)
- Construction Style: Timber Framed Greek Revival
Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
During placement of the Cotton House in 1938, remains and a very deteriorated uniform with brass buttons were unearthed. They are believed to have belonged to a soldier from Camp Smith. The tomb, which was built in 1938, has a four ton slab of granite from Amberg, WI forming the floor and roof while the sides are concrete. A sarcophagus holding the remains is placed on a bench of hammered granite. The construction of the tomb was financed by Theodore Pamperin.
- Original Build Date: 1938
- Construction Style: Dry Stacked Limestone