Growing Community (1850-1912)
From 1850 to the end of the century, numerous small communities were expanding in Wisconsin due to the influx of immigrants. Our Growing Community area depicts some of the trades that were found in Green Bay during the last half of the 19th century. Walk though this area of Heritage Hill today and you’ll find that many of the elements that made up a 19th century community can still be found in your own today.
Originally built in 1852 and relocated to Heritage Hill in 1980 from Moravian Street in downtown Green Bay. The construction style is timber frame in the Greek Revival style.
In essentials, unity; in nonessentials, liberty; and in all things, love. With a corner stone laid in October, 1851, this is the oldest church in Green Bay. Set for demolition in 1980, it was instead moved to Heritage Hill and re-dedicated in 1981. Built in the Greek Revival style of architecture popular in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, the Moravian Church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Interesting in holding your wedding at the Church? Learn more about wedding ceremonies at Heritage Hill!
Franklin Hose Company
Originally built in 1887 and relocated to Heritage Hill in 1975 from the corner of Main and Irwin Streets in Green Bay. The construction style is wood frame, typical of the late 19th century.
The Franklin Hose Company No. 3 was built in 1887 and located on the corner of Main and Irwin Streets. Despite being disbanded just over four years later in 1892, the current building is actually the second building erected at this site for the purpose of a volunteer fire department.
Originally built in 1873 and relocated to Heritage Hill in 1977 from 810 South Chestnut Street in Green Bay. The construction style is wood framed with a brick veneer.
The YMCA Library was built in 1873 with money solicited by Reverend William Curtis and constructed as a boys’ club. Mrs. Caroline Tank, an earlier champion of the community, also donated $1,200 towards the construction of the building. While called a YMCA it was never officially incorporated as such. The side wing was added in 1893 as a community center where Heritage Hill currently interprets a variety of late 19th century activities.
The Print Shop
Built in 1976 at Heritage Hill. The construction style is wood frame.
The Print Shop is used to demonstrate the art of printing. It is modeled after the original De Pere News that was started in 1871 and while the building is a reproduction, all of the printing equipment used is original to the latter half of the 19th century.
Originally built in 1897 and relocated to Heritage Hill in 1976 from the corner of Danz and University Avenues in Green Bay. The construction style is wood frame.
The Blacksmith Shop was built by Henry M. DeWitt and was originally used as a repair shop for wagons and carriages – the carpentry work was done on the second floor and the blacksmithing and assembly on the first. In the early 1900s it became an automobile repair facility and in the 1930s it switched to doing ornamental iron work. After being owned and operated by the same family for four generations, the DeWitts gave up the trade in the 1960s.
Baird Law Office
Originally built in 1835 and relocated to Heritage Hill in 1975 from the corner of Main and Monroe Streets in Green Bay. The construction style is Greek Revival.
This building was constructed in 1835 by Samuel Beall at the corner of Main and Monroe Streets and used as a land office as well as Beall’s private residence. Several years later Henry Baird bought the property and converted it to his law office. Because of its small stature, it was moved several times before finding its home at Heritage Hill in 1975. This building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Allouez Town Hall
Originally built in 1912 and relocated to Heritage Hill in 1977 from 2143 South Webster Avenue in Green Bay. The construction style is wood framed with a gable roof.
The Allouez Town Hall was built in 1912 for a cost of $778.72 and stood a few blocks down from Heritage Hill’s present location. It was used for town hall meetings and elections through World War II. Upon its move here, the building underwent a careful and detailed restoration. Its construction is one of simple frame with a gabled roof, typical of early 20th century municipal buildings.
Originally built circa 1800 and relocated to Heritage Hill in 1976 from 8th Street at the Fox River in Green Bay. The construction style is piece-on-piece in slide (piece’ sur piece’ en coulisse).
Tank Cottage was built around 1803 on the west bank of the Fox River by Joseph Roi as a fur trader’s cabin. Later it was owned by Jacques Porlier before being purchased in 1850 by Otto Tank, an early founder of Green Bay, who added both wings to the house. His wife Caroline lived in the house until her death in 1891. This influential family were involved in various business ventures that allowed them to decorate the house with art and furniture from Europe and Asia, much of which is still on display today. Tank Cottage ownership changed many times after Caroline’s death, but the house was mainly preserved as a museum. It came to Heritage Hill in great disrepair in 1975 when it was floated down the Fox River to its new home. Tank Cottage is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Victorian Bandstand
Built in 1982 at Heritage Hill. The construction style is Victorian.
Also known simply as the Gazebo, the Victorian Bandstand was donated in 1982 by Frederick and Patricia Baer. It was constructed by a local architecture firm with careful attention to the design of classic bandstands of this era.
Interesting in holding your wedding at the Gazebo? Learn more about wedding ceremonies at Heritage Hill!