Because of its specific mission and limited resources, Heritage Hill rarely accepts artifact donations. Please read over the following information carefully and ensure your artifact meets the criteria.
- The artifact must be significant to a building at Heritage Hill or the mission of Heritage Hill.
- Sufficient information about the history and function of the artifact must be available at the time of acceptance to justify the research and/or interpretation value of the object.
- The artifact must not represent an unnecessary duplication of artifacts already in the collection.
- Heritage Hill must be reasonably assured that the donor has legal title to the artifact and can convey that title to Heritage Hill. Heritage Hill cannot accept artifacts known to have been illegally imported or acquired, or to have resulted from the improper destruction of historic or archaeological sites, buildings, districts, or objects.
- The artifact can be acquired without restrictions (such as requirements for long-term loan, permanent display, or exhibition of an entire collection).
- The artifact is in reasonable condition, has no extraordinary conservation needs, and can be adequately stored and cared for by Heritage Hill.
Artifacts that are NEVER accepted:
- Family bibles
- Newspapers or newspaper clippings
- The opening day feature on Heritage Hill in the 1977 Press Gazette.
- Wedding dresses
- Christening Gowns
- Unidentified photographs
- Items from outside our geographic region
- Historic sewing machines
- Oil lamps and lanterns
- Pianos or organs
- Living room/parlor furniture
If your donation is accepted, a deed of gift, which transfers ownership of your item(s) to Heritage Hill, and guarantees that the artifact was legally yours to give, must be signed.
Heritage Hill is a 501.c.3 organization, so your donation is generally tax deductible. To ensure that you receive the maximum tax benefit, we recommended that you consult with your own accountant, attorney, and/or the IRS. Value of the donation cannot be determined by the Heritage Hill.
Contact Claire Gwaltney, Director of Engagement and Visitor services at email@example.com or (920) 448-5150 ext. 201 if you have any questions or an artifact that meets the above criteria.